Two years ago we were contacted to help a local pub raise its profile. It had been abandoned by its locals and wasn’t attracting new customers quickly. In autumn 2010, the Inn at Freshford’s ghostly quiet bar was more likely to be frequented by its spooky regulars than mortal, paying customers.
We love a challenge at Avalanche Media. How to build the business of a public house no longer at the heart of its community? How to attract new customers to a place with no passing traffic? Had we been contacted earlier in the year, our PR recommendations would have been less frightening I’m sure, but in the build up to Halloween, there was only one place to start – with a good ghost story. A quick chat with the Inn at Freshford’s then management team revealed the pub had plenty of tales, which with our input, generated plenty of media attention, such as this on BBC Bristol.
Since, the pub has been given a further welcome lease of life from one of the UK’s most charismatic landlords, Mark Birchall, which whom we have worked to rebuild the Inn at Freshford’s local connection. A healthy and continued combination of PR injection from Avalanche Media, in the form of press releases, media attention, event and campaign organising, journalist reviews, social media activity across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, has all helped to revitalise the Inn at Freshford’s reputation.
It takes time to make this sort of difference, plus consistency, PR planning and focusing the product offering. The Inn at Freshford knows what it is – and just as importantly, what it isn’t. We’re always learning in our work with clients and have applied a lot of the lessons learned from our work with this great country pub to other businesses.
<< For pubs and businesses needing a happy ending, these ghostbusters are for hire.
As per my previous post, yesterday, despite its numerical placement in the month, was great. Not only was it filled with sister-in-law hen do frolics, but it began with PR results from more hard work on behalf of Avalanche Media clients. Here are two examples – more to follow:
- #FromeTweetMeet 2013 March 23, 2013
- Our new Twitter column in the Standard February 19, 2013
- Frome’s Twitter stream: US election special November 7, 2012
- Frome’s Independence Day attracts national support November 5, 2012
- Real ghostbusting: how PR saved a hauntingly quiet pub October 31, 2012
Throwing Snowballs blog cloud
- @juliancrawley finally got to listen to all of show 1 - brilliant :-) The nod to Scorpion raised a smile too 17 hours ago
- What the? twitter.com/70s_party/stat… 20 hours ago
- RT @owillis: trump is now walking down a line of executives telling him how great he is as his adult daughter walks behind him, clapping fo… 2 days ago
- A glorious evening pedal over to the White Horse for sunset, and following its glow all the way home. This summer i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Tweet of the week! twitter.com/richardmarx/st… 3 days ago